11.7.10

The Beach


The water calls as the waves crash. The sand shimmers at the water's edge where the water leaves evidence of where it's been but never where it's going. The line of its path is ever changing. With each ebb and flow, the water shapes the sand , smoothing mounds here, carving edges there. The water flows wherever it wants to go, changing the sand in the process. You can never step on the same beach twice because the face of the beach is never the same. It may appear the same on the surface but it's always changing underneath; water and sand in a dynamic relationship. Never the same beach.

Yet, it's always the same. It's always comforting, whether the tide is out or the waves are threatening. It's always changing, erasing what was there a second ago to make something new, whether it be a footstep or sand castle. It's always forgetting, washing away the past to make way for the future. The sand is always shimmering at the water's edge, whether it be in the sunlight or the moonlight.

Can you hear the water calling?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful picture. Who would have thought a great picture would have came out of that beach. Just makes me want to sit on the sand and watch the sunset

Unknown said...

To be honest,you don't need the picture. You have created a picture with your words. And I know I said how much I love you're writing - but this is exactly why I think it's great. The picture is great too!

Joi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joi said...

Thanks for the comments guys.
@Kilowatt Every beach is special. Even that ugly one. I think the shots of you guys playing in the water are better than this one.
@ashley you inspired me to write this one. Well the picture did but you said you liked my writing so I decided to do my posting a little different this time, tell a story instead if just putting up a pic. :D
Thanks again guys.